Saturday, February 7, 2015

Shorthand Research Begins (Shorthand Part 1)

I have not worked on the History of the American Machine Shorthand. Work and family related.

While researching Ward Stone Ireland, I could not find out which system of shorthand he used.  I still don't know.  I figured it might have influenced his writing theory for the stenotype.  For example, Mr. Ireland uses "e" for the "he."  This abbreviation appears in both Pitman and Gregg shorthand.

It also got me thinking: the history of the American Machine Shorthand is closely connected with the history of court reporting which used pen shorthand for hundreds of years. Basically, court reporting has adapted to the technology which allows the recording of rapid speech. From the metal stylus and wax tablets of the Roman's, to pen and paper, to better pens (and paper), to the machine, to better machines, to the machine connected to a computer.

I figured I better do some research on the History of Shorthand. The Wikipedia page on shorthand is okay, and lacked the detail I wanted. So I'm creating my own and will update it as I do my research.

Shorthand History and Resources


No comments:

Post a Comment